Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day Three - Arrival

FINALLY REACHING OUR CAMPSITE -
Well we arrived pretty much safe n sound. Pretty much... We got off of 74 in the Smokys at about 7:30, just about 30 miles from the campground, the ride was nice n sunny. Al & Kathy following us on the bikes when it just started to pour. Like a light switch went off, total down pour! Needless to say they got drenched, we pulled over to give them shelter. By the time we got going we had 45 minutes to find the campsite for check in before they closed at 9:00.

We made it by 8:57, just made it. Now the road there is 10 miles of really, I mean really tight twists and turns, in the dark with a camper and no shoulder to the road. Eek! Made it safely to the campground, leaving the other two in town, somewhere, to wait out the rain.

We set up the camper, un hooked and started to wonder why the other two hadn't showed up yet. We hopped in the truck and raced down the extremely windy Big Cove Road (google map it ;-) ) So... 9 miles down just about to town Al comes flying past, without Kathy in tow. We turn the truck around on this tiny road to give chase, but by the time we turned we had already lost him. We're flying down this narrow windy road (did you google it yet?) and a grand marqui comes up behind us... So we're flyin around these turns in a truck that feels too big for the road, on comming traffic, the whole works, And Just Before the turn for the road the camp ground is on Al Passes Us AGAIN (mile #9) ! We turn around AGAIN, the COP turns around... And we give a slow 35 mph chase back the 9 miles to town with the cop following. At the end of the road, and the entrance to the tow is a Best Western, where we found Kathy and Al. Talk about a night that wouldn't end. We were lucky though the cop probably figured it out and just drove past staring out of the window at the 4 of us. The 4 of us road back up the mountain to end the night safely.

And so the adventures begin ;-)

BLOGGING UPDATES -
So here's an update on my blogging status. I'll try to keep it updated as much as I can, the closest signal that I can get on my phone is 10.5 miles away, down the mountain in town. So please don't worry if I haven't posted. I'll try to update before we go back to camp each night, and when we come down in the morning.

FIRST DAY IN THE MOUNTAINS -
We made an effort to sleep in today, got up at 9, showered and went exploring. It seems that this bike week is a big thing around here, and the Cherokee Indians are banking on it. Commercialized Indian this and that everywhere. Our campground is actually on an the Cherokee Indian reservation, street signs are I both Cherokee and English. The town itself reminds me of Plymouth, and how it commercializes the pilgrims, pirates, and the cape. You get the idea. I'm hoping on finding some true native American culture here.

Of course we've already found a dirt road, which I practically cryed on our decent in fear. Lol, I need to get over this. We were perfecty safe, but it seems as I get older, my fears have been taking control. Must let my insanity prevail ;-) after a few times I'll be fine.

We stopped at the visitor center and got some maps, and got caught in a mountain rain storm. From what the locals say, it rains every day, the clouds hand in the mountains, get pushed around by the wind until they drop their moisture. Yes it's HOT here, and yes it's HUMID. yucky and sticky, so the rain is a blessing, but the wind isn't.

Walmart is just as FUCKED as back home, maybe a bit worse. Southern hospitality is non existant, they are all Walmart "defects"

On a happier note, a butterfly let me get this picture of it. Ok, headin on back up da mountain to cook some grub over an open fire. Night Yall!

Dammit I forgot my cowboy hat, I woulda fit right in :-(

Over n Out!


~ Another Day, Another Adventure ;-)

Location:Sylva NC - cause it has signal

No comments:

Post a Comment