Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tuesday - Highest Point of the Blue Ridge Parkway

Tuesday started out as normal as any day. We fended for our own breakfast in the morning. Then headed on down the mountain to ride to Bridal falls down by Franklin NC. Everyone checked their messages and Kathy had one from one of the ladies in the HOG group. They had plans on riding the blue ridge parkway, then going over to Maggie Valley to the Wheels Through Time Museum. So we all tagged along.

It was nice, there were a lot less people this time and we snuck on up front and flew through those awsome curves on the parkway. Our destination on the blue ridge parkway was it's highest point in the 600 n something mile long road. Through twists and turns we made it to a beautiful overlook.
[photos to come]
After picking a handful of juicy wild strawberries the group got on our way to our next stop in Maggie Valley. Maggie Valley was just so beautiful, the scenery unfolded as we coasted down the mountain. It reminded me of hills going down into valley towns in Germany. The museum was closed so we headed to a custom bike shop that a few of them had met the owner of a year prior. Beautiful shop, small and a great layout.

We said hellos and we were off on our third leg of the day. To Bridal Falls, via 74 through Cashiers. With a pit stop in Cashiers at a smokehouse for some grub. On the way there we ran into a drenching rain storm, but after being so hot it felt good to get cooled off. Not even ten minutes down the mountains the sun was hot as hell, and our clothes dry. That's how the weather is out here, you just can never tell what these clouds will do.

With the rain behind us we motored on. My foot particularly bugging me this day, I had taken probably a couple too many tylonals on an empty stomach to ease the pain. Well it caught up with me :-( I got off the bike pretty dizzy and light headed. At this point we were in Cashiers, stopping for some good BBQ at Carolina Smokehouse.

So I got some chopped pork, and not knowing how hot their hot sauce was I got both, hot and mild. Well the waitress didn't tell me which was which, they both had some bite. I slathered some of which I thought was the mild onto my sandwich and dippin my fries in it. I didn't think it was hot at all until my eyes glazed over, and i started feeling really funny. Alex asked if I was ok cause I was turning red. I started feeling faint, and my throat was swelling. Alex grabbed my two sauces, yup I had been gulpin down that hot sauce like it was water not realizing I couldn't handle the pepper in it. A few fries and the bun top and a glass of sweet tea and I was good to go. Duh! Now that was a PI moment (public idiot).

From the Carolina Smokehouse we headed back up north through Highlands and Franklin where we headed up the winding bootleggers route 28 where moonshiners risked their lives during prohibition. I can't believe this is where hot rods and NASCAR stemmed from, I would love run the cutlass up these roads.

Ending the ride at rt 74 I was beat. The rest of the group went back to Robbinsville, and the four of us headed back to camp dead tired.


~ Another Day, Another Adventure ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment